Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Do you think she woke up one morning and said: I think I'll go to law school today.

Forgot my headphones at home. I suppose I'll have to really focus in the library today.

It's flashcard season. It's the period of any academic journey in which you think you know enough at this point to start committing it to written, flashcard form. Personally, my flashcards are irritating me. I feel like I know enough to publish my little thoughts onto the flashcard, but then again, do I REALLY?

See, that's the law school doubt. Catholics have their guilt, law students have doubt. Sure there are the basic rules of law, the enigmatic hypos, and scores of definitions. But do you REALLY understand what the big picture is yet?

Not really.

My mentor yesterday made it completely clear to me: They want us to be doubtful. They expect us to be confused.

Luckily, we are beyond the point (at least I am) of taking every word said in class down verbatim. I don't need to write down the cracked out hypo Little Timmy blurted out in class that has no basis in reality. That's not going to be on my exam. Screw you, Little Timmy, and your little hypo. I don't need to synthesize Little Suzie's personal legal problems that she shares with the class and turn them into a complete subsection in my notes, because, as harsh as it sounds, Little Suzie's legal issues are the least of my problems and I just don't care. Just tell me the law and let me write that down.


I've changed the way I take notes and the way I look at studying. I'm starting to get a larger (but not complete) view of the world.

Professor Kingsfield: You come in here with a skull full of mush and
  you leave thinking like a lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment