Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It's who you know.

Nothing beats speaking to people who are on the ground in the legal profession.

Today I met one of my two "mentors" assigned by the fabulous Women's Law Caucus. What a great idea this was! Now I feel that I really have a foot in the door in figuring out what it is I plan to do with my legal education.

Both are in two different environments: academia and private practice. The diversity simply within our conversations is riveting because I feel I'm getting a view of two different and yet completely possible life paths. Now, I don't think my calling is to be a professor, but I do think something about this policy stuff could be a possibility.

On the other hand, I was completely intrigued by my other mentor's discussion about her most recent run for District Court Judge. Granted, she didn't win, but the experiences she shared were exciting.

I don't want to settle on any specific mindset quite yet. I want every bit of diverse experience I can get! Although my thoughts do come back to what I came to law school hoping to do: advocate for a better education system....

I'm hoping my mentors help me to discover more about the legal profession and more about myself in it. I'm also hoping that they can connect me with others that will similarly open new doors. It's who you know, but it's also who knows you.

No comments:

Post a Comment